It took me a minute to remember my blogger password. I'll admit it. I'm spent. And when I'm spent, I need SUGAR! I made these for my coworkers and now I'm the most popular employee in the building. So if you need a late 2010 energy boost, or you're vying for a raise, or just want to make friends, I'm going to give away my secret.
Cranberry Pecan Crunch (or little bites of ecstasy)
(Recipe from Christmas Together, reprinted by Woman's Day magazine)
Makes: 2 Dozen
Prep: 5 min.
Cook: 25-40 min.
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 Tbsp corn syrup
3 Tbsp water
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans
(I usually start with whole pecans, seal them in a STURDY freezer bag and pound them to dust with a hammer. A good way to easy holiday stress as well.)
1. Butter an 8x8-inch pan and sprinkle bottom with dried cranberries.
2. Melt the butter with the vanilla in a heavy saucepan. Blend in the sugar, syrup and water. Cook over medium to high heat until mixture reaches 300 degrees on a candy thermometer. Stir constantly. (The magazine says about 25-40 minutes. I don't use a thermometer, and mine took just over 20 minutes. The mixture will reach a fluffy point. As soon as it passes that and takes on a syrupy consistency and a nice golden brown color - it's done. )
3. Quickly stir in chopped pecans and pour mixture over cranberries in pan.
4. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top and spread when soft. Sprinkle with pecan dust. When cool remove from pan. Cool thoroughly and break into pieces.
5. Prepare to hear, "OMG! These are sooo good!" repeatedly.
I can't post a picture for you BECAUSE EVERYONE ATE THEM ALREADY! They're that delicious. And I won't bother adding the nutrition information. No one really wants to know. You can assume they aren't diet snacks by the 2 sticks of buttery goodness inside. ENJOY!