My excuses for not posting lately.
1. I started watching Doctor Who. I was trying to avoid it because I don't need anything else to add to my nerd-dom, but the TARDIS sucked me in.
2. My husband and I turned our change into the Coinstar after saving it for about a year and got a huge Amazon gift certificate which meant Christmas for us and about twelve new books I have to read along with the thirty or so already sitting on my shelf.
3. I was invited to five weddings this year. FIVE. No one else is allowed to get married. I don't think anyone else I know can get married. So no one is allowed to get divorced and re-married. I like a good wedding, but come on!
4. It's fall here in Rhode Island which is my favorite season of the year. The leaves change, the sweaters come out of the closet. I eat Clam Chowder out of a breadbowl at least once a week and there is tons of fun stuff going on. Too much. Last weekend we went on a haunted hayride and this weekend we're going to Salem will I will get my weekly serving of bread bowl clam chowder along with a dose of spooky stories and witchlore.
5. I've been writing, and it has been a tedious path. I have a lot of good ideas. I make up so much insanity in my head, it's well, insane. As many often say, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution that matters, and I had a great idea that wasn't coming across the way I wanted it to.
I rewrote the manuscript four times, trying from different perspectives. Switching perspectives. Starting in a different place, and that's when I set it aside and started on something new. It doesn't mean I won't go back to the idea, but before I do, I need to have a surge of brilliance on how to twist it into something different.
It was a downer, of course, to spend so much time on something and shove it in a drawer, so I took a break and watched Doctor Who. And somewhere when I was driving to work or brushing my teeth, another idea slapped me upside the head. I started writing, and this one I liked from draft one.
I'm going back to revise now and know it's got potential because I get sucked back into reading it. The concept is nothing groundbreaking. I'll tell you right now, it's about witches, but again, it's not the idea, it's the execution, and I think I have a unique enough spin on it to work.
The other positive, is while I'm eating my creamy chowder out of a sourdough hunk of bread this weekend, I can count the entire weekend as research.